Welcome to the final Wednesday of September! Yikes!! One sure sign of autumn’s arrival is the yearly migration of birds. When I lived in Canada, we knew winter was on the way when the Canada geese would start to fly south and disappear over the winter. Here in Northern Ireland it’s actually the time of arrival of birds migrating here from more northerly climates. Shell duck, greylag geese, little egrets, grey herons, golden eye, and teal are some of the birds that make the waterways their wintering home. My hat’s off to those that devote their time around the country each month to record the numbers and help keep these wild birds from decline. It’s a lot of hard, cold work, and I admire their dedication to nature.
Bird watching isn’t just for those with grey hair and spectacles, it’s for everyone and an inexpensive hobby for children. Once you start watching the birds in your own backyard, you’ll start seeing more of them ‘hiding’ where before you didn’t see anything! And if you’re ready to help your little nature lover with some ‘kit’, these are my top selections. But first, let’s have a look at some bird books for all ages to get you started.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Bird Books For All Ages
- Coco the Bird’s Awesome Adventure: A Unique Story and Learning Book about Unusual Birds and Exotic Places
- The Peregrine’s Journey: A Story of Migration
- Children’s Book: Mama Bird and Her Chicks. Children’s books about animals & picture books for kids.
- The Bird Watching Answer Book: Everything You Need to Know to Enjoy Birds in Your Backyard and Beyond
- Sibley Backyard Birding Flashcards: 100 Common Birds of Eastern and Western North America
- National Geographic Backyard Guide to the Birds of North America
- Extreme Birds: The World’s Most Extraordinary and Bizarre Birds
- The Thing with Feathers: The Surprising Lives of Birds and What They Reveal About Being Human
- National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
- Easy-to-Make Bird Feeders for Woodworkers
- Birds from Bricks: Amazing LEGO(R) Designs That Take Flight
- The Bird Feeder Book: How to Build Unique Bird Feeders from the Purely Practical to the Simply Outrageous
- Art of Bird Photography: The Complete Guide to Professional Field Techniques
- The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon (Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K-12)
- Birds: A Mindful Coloring Book