Pickles in a bucket are quick and easy to make, and have been a family favorite for years. My nephew has never liked pickles, but he requests these. My husband and son are the same; they won’t touch a cucumber, but put them into a bucket with a few ingredients and they count down the hours until they are able to eat them! Is your mouth watering yet? Here’s the recipe as told to me by Mom.
Pickles in a Bucket Recipe
- 2 large onions, sliced small-finely
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- Fill an ice cream pail with the sliced cucumbers and onions.
- You may also use sliced green peppers, or other vegetables such as cauliflower. We haven’t tried this yet because we enjoy our as is.
- Mix well.
- Prepare the brine (do NOT heat it) and pour it COLD over the cucumbers and vegetables.
- Cover you pail and put it in your fridge.
- It will be ready to eat in 3 days.
You can put the vegetables in jars, instead of an ice cream pail, if you want smaller quantities. Since we don’t have 4 litre pails of ice cream in the UK, I’ve adjusted the recipe for a 1.5L Tupperware container…But I have lost my adjustments of ingredients that were just perfect. I MUST find them so I can make my boys (big and small) happy while the cucumbers are at a lower price in the shops. Note to self: Never put down a piece of paper while going to answer the phone-you will not find it when you need it!
What is your favourite pickle? Personally, I love my mom’s homemade dill pickles with extra pucker-power the best!
If you like cooking with your kids, click on the graphic below to discover new blogs and recipes.