We made these scrumptious Maple Syrup Cookies last year for Canada Day. The recipe makes such a large amount that we were able to freeze most of them to share a piece of Canada with guests when they came by to visit. The maple taste is subtle and the cookies are not overly sweet as things can sometimes be when maple syrup is used.
These are the ingredients we used for our Maple Syrup Cookies:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups white flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration
The instructions for these Maple Syrup Cookies are very easy:
1) Pre-heat your oven to 175C/ 350F.
2) Grease your cookie sheets.
3) Cream the butter and brown sugar until nice and fluffy.
4) Add in the egg, maple syrup and vanilla extract and mix well.
5) Let the kids have some fun using the sifter to sift the flour with the salt and baking soda into the mixture.
6) Mix together.
7) Take a spoon (we used a teaspoon so we had smaller cookies, but more of them for sharing) and gather some mixture. Roll this into a ball using your hands.
8) Roll the ball in the white sugar and place it on the cookie sheet. Flatten the ball slightly using the back of a spoon, a fork, or your fingers.
9) Bake until done, about 8-10 minutes later, depending on your oven.
10) Let the cookies cool slightly before moving them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
11) Enjoy your maple syrup cookies with your favourite afternoon drink and friends, if they last that long!
To celebrate Canada Day in the past we have also made handprint Canadian flags and cardboard roll RCMP characters. Click on the links to find out more, and don’t forget to check out our Canada Day page. If you like cookies, try our soft ginger cookies or our snacks page for more ideas. And if you’re thirsty make an iced coffee.
How are you celebrating Canada Day this year?
If you don’t want to miss a thing, please follow Crystal’s Tiny Treasures through any or all of the following social media channels:
Subscribe by e-mail, Facebook, Google +, Twitter, Pinterest, Bloglovin or your favourite reader.