These delicious macaroons remind me of the recipe Mom used to make when we were younger. She used to top hers with coloured cherries, which was very festive. We’ve done both that and a chocolate version here as well. In Canada you can buy boxed chocolate macaroons but they aren’t available here, so this is the closest we can get to those little delights. You be the judge to see which is your favourite.
Gather your macaroon ingredients
- 2&2/3 C sweetened flaked coconut
- 2/3 C Canned sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- Dark chocolate chips, about a small handful
How to make your macaroons
1) Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
4) Gently press any coconut flakes that are standing out, back into the mound so that the ends don’t burn.
5) If you’d like to add maraschino cherries to your cookies, place one of these on the cookie at this stage.
6) Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
7) Don’t remove the cookies immediately, but only let them cool a couple of minutes before removing them from the cookie sheet using a spatula dipped in warm water.
8) Let the cookies cool completely.
Kallista says they are a hit with her!
Be sure not to miss a thing by signing up for our blog delivered direct to your email inbox, and/or follow via