Recycling and upcycling has become much more a part of everyday life than when I was a kid and everything went into one big trash can to head to the dump. Now we have one bin for general trash, one for compostable materials, and 4 boxes for other various items that can be recycled. In Japan it was even more complicated, but worth it. It’s much easier to do when it’s expected of you and it’s ‘normal’ than when you’re going it alone! In our home, we try to reuse and upcycle what we can even before it hits the recycling boxes. Every bit that hits those rubbish bins is the earth’s resources wasted (and our money, as well). But recycling isn’t always very exciting…so today I’m sharing some fun ways for kids to recycle that ‘junk’ around the house, as well as some story books and books with good information about how recycling works. Let’s bring up our children to be even better at saving the earth than we have been; it all starts at home and the examples we set!
This post contains affiliate links.
Fun Ways For Kids To Recycle: Stories And Crafts
It can be difficult to choose books for toddlers and young children. That’s why we have What To Read Wednesday! Each week a few of us put together a great selection of books on a given topic and bring them to you to help narrow down the choices for you.
To make things even easier for you, I have provided Amazon links to these books for both my American and British readers. The American links are the title of the book, and the UK links are in brackets. Enjoy!
- Where Do Recyclable Materials Go? Read, Think, Recycle (UK link here)
- Compost Stew: An A to Z Recipe for the Earth (UK link is here)
- The Adventures of an Aluminum Can: A Story About Recycling (UK link is here)
- Recycled Crafts Box (UK link is here)
- Ecoart!: Earth-Friendly Art and Craft Experiences for 3-To 9-Year-Olds (UK link is here)
- Recycled Craft Projects For Kids: 50 Fantastic Things to Make From Junk, Shown Step by Step in Over 400 Photographs (UK link is here)
- Michael Recycle (UK link is here)
- The EARTH Book (UK link is here)
- How to Help the Earth-by the Lorax (Dr. Seuss) (UK link is here)
- Don’t Throw That Away!: A Lift-the-Flap Book about Recycling and Reusing (UK link is here)
- Garbage and Recycling: Environmental Facts and Experiments (UK link is here)
- One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of the Gambia (UK ink is here)