This is one of our favourite family recipes. We’ve been making these homemade spicy fries for years, and it’s time to share it with you.
A short while ago we reviewed a CD “Little Songs of The Andes” by Daria Marmaluk-Hajioannou. Within the accompanying book, “A Child’s Life in The Andes” were some of the foods that children of the Andes enjoyed. We were pleasantly surprised to see that they loved spicy fries! So there was no better time for us to make this side-dish once again.
These are the ingredients you will need to make Spicy Fries:
- Potatoes (of course!)
- Cayenne pepper
This is how to make your Spicy Fries:
- Wash your potatoes thoroughly.
- Slice your potatoes into ‘French fry’ lengths or wedges, or any shape that you would like them to be!
- Toss them into an oven pan and add a tablespoon of oil.
- Sprinkle some cayenne pepper over the fries – just a touch if you don’t want them too hot. Add lots more if you enjoy your food really spicy (like Tristan and I).
- Add a little paprika as well. This won’t really add flavour to your Andean fries, but it will help to give them a little more color.
- Put your pan into an oven set at about 180C/350F.
- When your fries start to tan a little, turn them over to crisp up the other side.
When your spicy fries are done to perfection, enjoy them as the children of the Peruvian Andes do and serve them with some mayonnaise. If that’s not to your personal liking, enjoy as they are or with your favourite topping or dipping sauce.
Up on our wall you can see our world map and some of the colouring pages the children have been working on from Daria’s book, A Child’s Life in The Andes. For more information about this great resource (as well as her Little Songs of The Andes CD) click here for my review.
If you’d like to see more recipes, mosey on over to our breakfast, lunch, dinner, multicultural, and snacks & deserts pages. Or see our multicultural page for other crafts and ideas.
If you don’t want to miss a thing, please follow Crystal’s Tiny Treasures through any or all of the following social media channels:
Subscribe by e-mail, Facebook, Google +, Twitter, and Pinterest Bloglovin or your favourite reader.