Halloween is less than a week away, and my children have already been asking to make this little mummy muffins! They are quick, easy, fun, and make a great Halloween party food!
We’ve been making these cute little Mummy Muffins for a few years now. They’re so fun for the kids to make and they liven up the darker autumn days with a little atmosphere. The kids can tell stories about their “mummy” while they are in the oven “ageing”.
Tristan has a dairy allergy so he can’t use the string or strip cow’s milk cheeses. But not to worry! Instead he substitutes either hard goat’s cheese or soya cheese that has been sliced into thin strips similar to the strip cheese.
Ingredients for Mummy Muffins
- English crumpets, or any muffin of your choice
- Cheese – string cheese is lots of fun, or you can use strip cheese or slice your own to save a little money or to use the cheese variety of your liking.
- Olives – sliced in half for the eyeballs. If your children don’t like olives, use some Jalepinos, cherry tomatoes, raisins, or any other food they enjoy.
Have fun mixing things up and making your own creations!
How to make Mummy Muffins
- Heat your oven or grill.
- Place the muffins on a plate or directly onto a baking sheet.
- Place the “eyes” on your muffin.
- Drape the cheese across the muffin so that it looks like mummy bandages.
- Don’t forget to have lots of fun making scary crazy faces!
- Toast up your mummy muffins in the oven until the cheese has melted.
Our family likes our muffins a little crispier so we toast the crumpets in the toaster first before we decorate them.
Who wouldn’t want to make their own pizza mummies? They’re a hit every year!
Happy Halloween! What’s your favourite frightful food or treat?