Following on from our village excitement of watching a Bollywood film being shot, I thought I would share our recipe for Bombay Baked Potatoes. Bombay Baked Potatoes make a refreshing break from the usual. Potatoes are so versatile, why not try something new for supper tonight?
You will need the following ingredients from your cupboard for Bombay Baked Potatoes:
- 4 Baking potatoes
- 2TBSP Cooking oil
- 1lg Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- ½ tsp Ground Tumeric
- large pinch of hot chilli powder
- bunch of coriander, roughly chopped (I didn’t use this because we didn’t have it at the time)
- squeeze of lemon juice
Once you have your ingredients ready, it’s time to put them together!
1) Heat your oven to 190C/375F. If the weather is good, you can use the barbecue and keep the house cool.
2) Scrub the potatoes and prick in several places with a fork. Cook in the microwave until soft to the touch. When they are done, put them into the oven to get the skins nice and crispy. If you would like your skin extra crunchy, carefully rub the skins with olive oil and salt before putting them in the oven.
3) While your potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a small pan and cook the chopped onion until softened and golden.
4) Stir in the spices and cook for 2 mins. Remove from heat.
5) When the potatoes are crisp, gently split open the potatoes and scoop out the flesh into a bowl leaving a 1cm thick shell.
6) Roughly mash the potato flesh with a fork then stir in the spice mixture and coriander.
7) Add lemon juice to taste then pile back into the jackets and serve warm. Tristan wanted to try a slice of lemon, and this was his reaction! Then he asked for some more. It’s great to see children try new flavours and like them!
These spiced potatoes are a twist on the classic Indian dish of Bombay potatoes. Serve with a curry instead of rice, or eat with minty yogurt and a tomato and cucumber salad.
If you don’t want to miss a thing, please follow Crystal’s Tiny Treasures through any or all of the following social media channels: