We have been so fortunate over the past year to have been introduced to so many great authors and books. What better time than International Book Day to share the with you all in one place? We’ve read over 25 books that have inspired our creativity and we’ve expanded upon them with crafts, activities and recipes. You can find all of our book reviews and book-related projects on our Books and Book Activities page. This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
Books that have inspired some food fun!
- Where Are The Dinos? saw us making some Dino Cookies.
- Pie-Rits had the whole family involved in recreating a scene from the book using bakery food.
- Mary Had a Sleepy Sheep inspired a Shepherd’s Stew with Sleepy sheep Dumplings.
- Handa’s Surprise enticed my children to try new foods.
Books that have inspired crafting:
- Aliens in Underpants Save The World saw us making spaceships and aliens.
- Mary Had a Sleepy Sheep had us making handprint art.
- Where Are The Dinos? had us making Dinosaurs out of paper plates.
- The Garden Classroom has inspired lots of ideas for us, many that we haven’t posted about.
- Humpfree The Humpless Camel inspired lots of Camel crating fun!
Books that have inspired us to create scenes from their pages:
- Pie-Rits had the whole family involved in making a scene using bakery foods!
- Manner-Man had us making our own Manner-Woman costume.
- Aliens in Underpants Save The World practiced our hand-eye coordination so we could save the world!
- The Gingerbread Man saw us doing lots of activities.
Books about Culture:
- We’re Roaming The Rainforest had us learning about the Matis.
- Bosley Builds a Tree House had us practising our Japanese (it’s also available in several other languages!).
Books for Learning About Life:
- What is a Family?
- Fox Talk taught us how communication is learned.
- Benjamin and the Super Spectacles had us making our own optician’s office and learning about the Optometrist.
- I am an Optician helped us learn about a first trip to the Eye Doctor.
- Today I Feel Silly, My Many Coloured Days and The Big Book of Pick and Draw help children learn about emotions.
- Manner-Man taught us about good manners and bullying.
Books for Christmas:
Books with Games:
- The Big Book of Pick and Draw
- Away We Go! A Shape and Seek Book
- Aliens in Underpants Save The World had us making our own matching game.
- Where Are the Dinos? saw Tristan digging for dinos and counting them.
- The ABCs of Australian Animals gets kids moving with Yoga.
Fun books about Colour:
Wow! We’ve had a LOT of book-inspired fun over the past year! And there will be more coming this year as well. What is your favourite book, and have you ever had fun with a book outside of the pages?